Sunday, April 26, 2009

In loving memory

They say a large part of behaviour is learnt through observation and imitation.
I try to think of all the things my grandfather taught me. I can say observation and imitation paid off and resulted in a variety of accomplishments.
I know each and every land sindbad visited and all the battles he won. I know how to blow soap bubbles and write letters in the sand. I know my teeth are safe with the tooth fairy and santa always gives me what I want. I know how to curl my Gs and loop my Ls. I know that stamp pads are meant to go only with white paper sheets and blue ball point pens. I know that music comes from the heart and I can sing wherever and whenever I want to. I know that running is a good exercise and shouting makes nana mad. I know that white hair is fun to brush and powder is meant to fall like snow. I know that folders are essential and that my signature determines my bank account. I know that shopping is an adventure and bike rides never reach anywhere.
I know that the ocean is a miracle and swings make you feel like you can fly. I know that marie biscuits are a must at tea-time and polo is dessert. I know that elves sing lullabies and there are no monsters under my bed. I know that records are like rubies and the gramophone belongs in a museum. I know that salad is an art and food is blessed. I know that chocolates are a treat and presents never end. I know that family is from heaven and Christmas is special. I know that letters are always awaited and technology mars life. I know that money does not fall from trees and credit cards are plastic. I know that laughter echoes and joy is contagious. I know that perseverance is not easy and patience is a virtue. I know that it’s ok to cry and it takes a lot to be brave. I know that honesty is valued and compassion is a gift. I know that to listen is a skill and wisdom is rare. I know that love is hard and love is beautiful.
I think I learnt a lot. Mostly I learnt how to live. And I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment